“American Idol” singers provided a 21st-century fix, but the future’s not so bright for our 10 finalists, as performance after performance fell flat. Could Birmingham’s Taylor Hicks avoid trouble?
Recap after the jump …
Updated with multimedia, elimination.
Rockin’ the scarf; gray activist; Taylor’s posse.
• Song: "Trouble" by Ray LaMontagne.
• Judges say: Randy: “(That song) didn’t let you show off. … It wasn’t the best for me.” Paula: “It’s nice to see you just stand behind the mike and just sing a song.” Simon: “I quite like the song. I thought it was an excellent vocal. The only slight problem … It’s very Clay Aiken.”
• We say: Better than last week, but so-so. Points for a bolder song choice and a toned-down delivery.
• Taylor says: “I’ll be performing a song that’s never been done on the show before. This is one of my personal favorites, and hopefully I can show a great vocal range.”
‘Trouble been doggin’ my soul since the day I was born …’
• Idol thoughts: The judges were downright sour about “song choice, song choice, song choice” — and rightly so. We like the lean, mean fluff-free show: 10 performances in 45 minutes (minus commercials). Tonight’s best (though not great): Mandisa and Paris Bennett.
Voting closes at 10 tonight.
Update: Hear Hicks perform “Trouble” at Rickey.org. Watch it below.
Update: Eliminated on March 29: Lisa Tucker.
• • •
This week’s roundup:
- Taylor gave a shoutout to The Official Soul Patrol
- Taylor Hicks trivia
- Huntsville’s Bo Bice to play Montgomery festival, amusement park(!)
- Simon’s predictions for final three: ‘the bald-headed kid and the guy with gray hair … and Kellie’
• • •
Read more on Taylor Hicks.