Taylor Hicks kicked off country night on “American Idol.” Even with Kenny Rogers’ help, could the soul man get his twang on?
Recap after the jump …
Updated with video, elimination.
‘Country roads, take me home to the place I belong …’
• Song: "Take Me Home, Country Roads" by John Denver.
• Judges say: Randy: “I thought the vocal was just OK. … I didn’t see you exude any of your personality.” Paula: “The song choice didn’t allow you to shine. … I expected a little more out of you.” Simon: “I thought it was safe, boring, lazy. It sounded like … no rehearsal.”
• Kenny says: “When Taylor started out singing ‘Take Me Home,’ it felt weak to me. If he can make the song his, I think he’ll do really well.”
• We say: The judges were kind. John Denver? Really?? It’s the Buddy Holly 1950s week all over again, thanks to a lousy song choice and flat delivery. Only his considerable fan base can save him now — and likely will.
Sign of the times; actually, it’s Taylor’s grandma, Joni Hicks (screen says ‘Grandpa’)
• Idol thoughts: Wow, Kellie Pickler can sing country. Whoda thunk? And ohmygod, they shilled Kenny! Best of the night: Chris Daughtry and Katharine McPhee.
Voting closes at 10 tonight.
Update: Watch Hicks perform “Take Me Home, Country Roads.”
Update: Eliminated on April 5: Mandisa(!).
• • •
This week’s roundup:
- Gray Charles has lots of posts and lively discussion.
- Can oldsters (29 is old?) be Idols?
- And the most searched finalist online is … Taylor Hicks.
- That catchy little ditty played when they boot someone? "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter, with “OC” cutie Samaire Armstrong in the video
- 2003’s Idol Ruben Studdard launches an after-school music program in his hometown, Birmingham
• • •
Read more on Taylor Hicks.