Can Queen, a band with such a dynamic presence and catalog, liven up the “American Idol” competition? And would Birmingham’s Taylor Hicks emerge as a champion … or just go crazy?
Recap after the jump …
Updated with multimedia, elimination.
Reheasing with Queen; friends and family in the house.
• Song: “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” by Queen.
• Judges say: Randy: “Tonight, America, Taylor’s back, and he’s kickin’! That was hot.” Paula: “It was refreshing, back to the authentic Taylor.” Simon: “Are you drunk? I thought it was ridiculous.”
• We say: Great performance, a real standout on another dull theme night. Drunk or not, Taylor rocks. Good call on the song switchup.
• Taylor says: “I felt … like I had to get back to my old self. I love the song. It’s very upbeat, energetic, and I get to dance.” (on changing from “We Are the Champions”)
Kick, miss, kick, success! Mike stand down!!
• Idol thoughts: Overall, some dull performances, even with some reinterpretations of Freddie Mercury and company. The ones to beat tonight: Elliott Yamin and Paris Bennett.
Update: See Hicks perform “Crazy Little Thing Called Love.”
Voting closes at 10 tonight.
Update: Eliminated on April 12: Bucky Covington.
• • •
This week’s roundup:
- Taylor Hicks, Idol Blues has quite a few interviews and spoilers (warning: automatic video with sound)
- Idol winner and Birmingham native Ruben Studdard has a secret fan. Well, not so secret.
- What makes Hicks popular among fans? Maybe it’s his online popularity and Southern base.
• • •
Read more on Taylor Hicks.