For those who think “American Idol” lacks standards, we counted at least seven tonight. Birmingham’s Taylor Hicks and the other six finalists took their shot at the classics, with a helping hand from Rod Stewart.
And the competition just got a little tougher.
Recap after the jump …
Updated with video, elimination.
‘Darling you send me, honest you do, honest you do …’
• Song: “You Send Me” by Sam Cooke.
• Judges say: Randy: “What a difference some different music makes. … That was hot.” Paula: “Sam would be proud of you. You are finally in that zone to go the distance. … The ending was superb.” Simon: “It started, and I thought, OK, lame cabaret. And then, magic.”
• Rod says: “Don’t care what Simon says (about your dancing). … You’ve got to grab the audience by the balls, as they say, and (Taylor’s) very good at doing that.”
• We say: It started out blah but ended strong. A real showstopping finish, thanks to the Taylor touch.
• Taylor says: (on being parodied on “Saturday Night Live”) “It was awesome. Flattery is a great form of humor.”
Cheeky monkey; family ties.
• Idol thoughts: We need more of Rod’s tart quips. Taylor needs to step it up fashion-wise — a fedora would’ve completed the look tonight. Best of the night: Paris Bennett, Elliott Yamin and Katharine McPhee.
Voting closes at 10 tonight.
Update: See Hicks perform “You Send Me.”
Update: Eliminated on April 19: Ace Young.
• • •
This week’s roundup
- We never miss the recaps at TVGasm.
- The April 15 “Saturday Night Live” clip of “Taylor” on “Weekend Update.”
- Maybe it’s not how well you sing, but how many items you move on eBay … Taylor’s leading that race, too.
- This week’s cover story in Entertainment Weekly: Best. Season. Ever.
- Our pal Tamika Moore has some fab shots of the gray-haired one. (Thanks to Gray Charles.)
• • •
Read more on Taylor Hicks.