Springtime, and a young Idol finalist’s fancy turns to love songs. Gushy singer Andrea Bocelli and gushy songwriter David Foster were there to help put the six finalists in the mood. Did Birmingham’s Taylor Hicks feel the love?
Recap after the jump …
Updated with video, elimination.
Rehearsing with Bocelli (second from left) and Foster (second from right); ‘I did my best, but I guess my best wasn’t good enough …’
• Song: “Just Once” by James Ingram (or Quincy Jones).
• Judges say: Randy: “That song was completely the wrong song. … It wasn’t half as good as the original.” Paula: “It wasn’t my favorite song.” Simon: “You looked uptight tonight. … You hear that every night … in hotel lounges. … It was not a winning performance.”
• Andrea says: “Taylor is a good singer. He has a very beautiful instrument. He’s very interesting.”
• David says: “Taylor potentially has the most charisma, which is a very very important part of being a star.”
• We say: Meh. A workmanlike performance for a below-average song choice. Sad, really.
• Taylor says: “You could tell they were just really listening and really trying to give us good opinions and good advice on the love songs we were singing.”
Singing to fans and friends
• Idol thoughts: Katharine McPhee, terrific (despite the judges’ criticisms). Elliott Yamin, surprisingly good. Kellie Pickler, the train wreck that voters love. Paris Bennett, “The Way We Were”? Uh-h-h … Chris Daughtry, pretty good, pretty boy.
Voting closes at 10 tonight.
Update: See Hicks perform “Just Once.”
Update: Eliminated on April 26: Kellie Pickler.
• • •
This week’s roundup
- Rickey.org is outstanding when it comes to recaps, videos and much, much more.
- What have Taylor’s bandmates been up to? Well, besides shilling for Hooters …
- Yee haw — the unmistakable twang of Idol finalists
- Alabamian and runner-up Bo Bice has been rather punchy, but still managed to get (his stuff) into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame.
- Birmingham native and Idol winner Ruben Studdard picks Hicks, even though he doesn’t watch the show. And about Mandisa’s crush on him? Um, “thanks.”
- And for Ruben’s third CD? Ne-Yo, Mario … and Fantasia?!
• • •
Read more on Taylor Hicks.